By Gerry Smyth
Read Online or Download The Judas kiss: Treason and betrayal in six modern Irish novels PDF
Best literary criticism & theory books
The writer of such works because the giant Sleep (1939), Farewell, My gorgeous (1940), the girl within the Lake (1943), and The lengthy so long (1953), Raymond Chandler used to be essentially the most renowned secret writers of his time. His works stay learn this present day and feature been tailored again and again into motion pictures. Chandler's writings have additionally been receiving growing to be quantities of scholarly cognizance, and whereas so much of this realization has thinking about his use of language, critics are actually learning the fictional global he created and the milieu within which he wrote.
This e-book lines the lifetime of Giacomo Leopardi by way of studying 4 diversified but interrelated facets: his social origins and sophistication in terms of his evolving notion of the Aristocracy; the aggregate of idealism and misogynism in his perspective towards ladies and in his notion of affection; his poems and prose at the subject matter of Italian independence; and his philosophical materialism as expressed in his poetry, highbrow diary, and essays.
From South Park to Kathy Acker, and from Lars Von Trier to intercourse and town, women's sexual organs are demonized. Rees strains the interesting evolution of this demonization, contemplating how calling the 'c-word' obscene either legitimates and perpetuates the fractured identities of ladies globally. Rees demonstrates how writers, artists, and filmmakers cope with the drawback of the vagina's puzzlingly 'covert visibility'.
The 1st full-length learn of the authorial and cross-media practices of the English novelist Elinor Glyn (1864-1943), Elinor Glyn as Novelist, Moviemaker, Glamour Icon and Businesswoman examines Glyn’s paintings as a novelist within the uk via her good fortune in Hollywood the place she tailored her renowned romantic novels into motion pictures.
- Writing through Jane Crow: Race and Gender Politics in African American Literature
- Postcolonial Life Narratives: Testimonial Transactions (Oxford Studies in Postcolonial Literatures)
- Macho Ethics: Masculinity and Self-Representation in Latino-Caribbean Narrative (Bucknell Studies in Latin American Literature and Theory)
- On Hemingway and Spain: Essays and Reviews 1979-2013
- English Poetry of the Eighteenth Century, 1700-1789 (Longman Literature In English Series)
- Psyche and Symbol in the Theater of Federico Garcia Lorca: Perlimplin, Yerma, Blood Wedding
Additional resources for The Judas kiss: Treason and betrayal in six modern Irish novels
The Judas kiss: Treason and betrayal in six modern Irish novels by Gerry Smyth